Northern Territory Government

Roll of Honour

DEATRICH, Ray Luther


The USS Peary sank in Darwin on 19th February 1942 as a result of heavy Japanese bombing.

Ray Luther Deatrich was born in June 1909 in Pennsylvania, the second son of Dallas D. and Martha H. Deatrich. He re-enlisted on 18 May 1940 in Chefoo in China and joined the USS Peary on 26 October 1940 as the Chief Commissary Steward (43-20-426). He would have endured the bombing of the Peary in Cavite Bay in the Philippines, and also the air attacks on the way to Australia, and later Timor.

The Peary had endured a dramatic voyage to Australia in December 1941, after sustaining damage in a bombing attack on the Cavite Navy Yard in the Philippines. The crew camouflaged the ship with green paint borrowed from the Army, and took refuge during daylight by anchoring close to the islands and covering the ship with palm fronds. Many of the Peary’s crew contracted malaria on this journey and eight men eventually died from the disease. They were attacked on 26 and 27 December, but avoided damage by violent manoeuvring. The Peary arrived in Darwin on 3 January.

In January the Peary was operating on anti-submarine patrol, convoy and escort missions; while escorting troops from Darwin to Timor, the ship was again attacked. They returned to Darwin, refuelled and set off again with the cruiser USS Houston. A fruitless submarine chase exhausted the Peary’s fuel, and she returned to Darwin in the early hours of 19 February.

The Peary was hit early in the bombing of Darwin, and appears to have sunk within 40 minutes. The fifth bomb to hit the Peary caused the fatal damage that sent her to the bottom and it was said to be the last bomb dropped that day on the harbour. The Peary’s machine guns continued to fire at the Japanese planes even as she sank. Eighty-eight officers and men, including Captain Bermingham, were killed; twenty of the fifty-seven survivors were wounded.

In December 1942 the Peary was awarded one battle star for service in World War II.

Deatrich’s next of kin was his sister Mrs Virginia Smith of Loysville, Pennsylvania, who was nine years younger than him. He was thirty-two when he died in Darwin Harbour.

Can you tell us more about this person? Please contact us.