A journey along the ‘the track’ took a number of days and staging camps were necessary to rest drivers and maintain vehicles. A range of vehicles were used in convoy to transport troops, equipment and supplies.
The Darwin Overland Maintenance Force (DOMF) established a headquarters at Alice Springs in September 1940 to maintain a convoy system for the transport of supplies and personnel along the North-South Road.
Paved causeways were constructed at waterways, reinforcing the crossings in case of flooding during the wet season. The longest, Newcastle Waters Causeway, was one mile long. Staging camps for overnight stopovers were built along the route and were located at Banka Banka, Elliott and Larrimah.
The Transport section consisted of 3-tonne Chevrolet and GMC Indian-type open tray trucks with canvas covered cabins and sleeping boxes at the rear of the cabin seats. DOMF reorganised into the Central Australian Motor Transport Column (CAMTC) on 1 Oct 1941 and International D30, D35 and K5 trucks and Ford “Blitz-buggies” were added to the fleet.
CAMTC disbanded on 24 April 1942 and was replaced by Australian General Transport Companies (AGT Coys). The fleet now included 3-tonne Ford V8s and British War Department 4 wheel drive trucks. Mack Lanova Diesels were introduced in 1944.